The words ”a” ”an” and ”the” are articles. These are also adjective and limit the meanings of nouns. Each one indicates that the noun refer to someone or something general.
The word ”the” is regarded as definite article. It particularizes a noun by distancing from others.
- For Example:He is not the student, the teacher was finding yesterday.
- The man who was taking to me, expired yesterday.
- The colour of my clothes is fading away.
- The theme of the poem is of universal kind.
- The children are very naughty in this school.
”A” and ”an” are regarded as indefinite articles. They are generally use for common, singular and countable noun.
A lion, a dog, a book, a knife, a mobile, a bag, a spoon, a door, an egg, an eagle, an apple, an honest man, an M.A an intelligent,
Note: An is use before nouns which begin with a vowel sound or with a silent H.
An apple, an ink pot, an honest man, an egg, an hour, an M.A ,an S.D.O.etc
”A” is use before words beginning with a consonant as the following examples show
A boy, a cat, a book, a mobile, a university, a knife.
They ( A, An ) are also use before a singular countable but common noun, which is use as an example of a class of things.
- A wasp is an insect
- A lion is ferocious animal.
- A man is a mortal being.
- An elephant is useful animal.
- A cat is a loving animal.
They (” A” ”an” ) are also place before a singular noun expressing or donating emotion, feeling and sentiments.
- What a charming scene! and What a beautiful watch!
- What a sentimental girl!
- What an exciting episode it is!
It is generally acknowledged that a common noun in the singular number must take an indefinite article before it.
- Ali killed a bear.
- She likes an egg to eat.
- They saw a monkey yesterday.
‘‘An” is not use but ”A” before ”o” when o is read as ”wa” an the following examples show.
- A one – dollar note.
- A one – eyed boy
Some important rules for using the definite article ”The”
Noun of which there is only one.
The Sun, The Moon, The East, The West, The South Pole, The North Pole, The Earth, etc.
2. A noun which is specially or stressedly explained.
- The pen which I searched was on the table.
- The girl who won the first position, was my younger sister,
3.The is always used before the superlative degree of an adjectives.
The tallest, the brightest, the most pretty woman. The best t.v. the cleverest boy, the ablest boy.
4.The is placed or use before the name of rivers seas, mountains, islands, oceans.
The Chenab, The Ravi, The Dead Sea, The Atlantic Sea, The Himalaya.
5.It is also use before the names of sacred places, holy books and important buildings. The Holy Quran, The Bile, The Taj Mahal, The Red Fort, The Data Darbar, The Holy Kaba, Etc.
6.The is also uses with the names of nation and nationalities and religions.
The Chinese, the Indians, the Muslims, the Hindus, the Britishers .
7.It is used with the names of newspapers and magazines.
The news the dawn, the jang, the family magazine.
Definite article the is not use before:
- Names of subject of study and science as Urdu, English, chemistry, Biology, physics, etc.
- Names of games as hockey, cricket, tennis.
- No with material noun as silver, gold, wood, cotton, etc.
- Not with abstract nouns as wisdom love, have, grace, beauty,
- No used with the names of places as college, cinema, school, market, hospital.
- Not used with the names of diseases, days months years season,colours, etc.
- It is also not used with the names of persons, countries, places and cities.
- It is also not use with official and political positions.